Police Issue Bogus Burglar Warning
Police are warning residents to be on their guard after a bogus burglar tricked his way into two homes in Didsbury within the space of an hour.
The incidents took place on Tuesday 14 June between 5.50pm and 6.50pm on Hesketh Avenue and Austin Drive, Didsbury.
In both instances the man has knocked on the door claiming there has been an explosion and he needs to check the water for contamination. Once inside the house, the offender has stolen valuables.
The man is described as being a white male, aged between 30 and 40 years old, between 5,ft 5in and 5ft, 8in tall and is of medium build, spoke with a local accent and was wearing a light coloured shirt and dark trousers.
PC Daniel Gaffney from the South Manchester Division of GMP said: “If anybody has any information then I urge you to report it to the police so that we can stop this heartless culprit from offending again.
“This type of burglary is completely unacceptable and I’d urge residents to be extra vigilant and keep an eye out for more vulnerable members of the community.”
Anybody with information on the recent incidents should call the police on 0161 856 6099 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Police are offering residents the following advice:
- Keep all external doors locked at all times, whether you are at home or not.
- Stop and think before you open the door. If possible, look out of the window or use a door viewer (spy-hole) to check whether you know the caller.
- If you have a door bar or chain, put it on before opening the door and don't open the door completely until you are happy with the caller's identity.
- Always ask for the caller to show identification. A genuine caller will be happy for you to check this with their employer.
- If you have not got a door bar or chain, ask the caller to push their identity card through the letterbox.
- If you still have any doubts, ask them to call back when a family member, friend or neighbour can be present. Genuine callers would never wish to cause distress, and would be happy to call again.
- An outside light over your door will help you to see a caller clearly if it is dark.